Wednesday 18 May 2011

Bye Bye Bay Tree

..Bay Tree Bye Bye.  (A version of the Four Seasons' classic recorded by the Bay City Rollers)





Is it serious? I'm afraid so!


This bay has been a stalwart over the years, but last winter was too much for it.  I feel guilty for leaving it outside now. I cut it back and repotted it in the best terracotta  pot, but have now recognised the futility of trying to resucitate it.  I'll be kinder to the next one.

It's not all doom and gloom on the herb front: I divided the herb bed up like noughts and crosses (tic tac toe)with potting compost for the lines sown with chives and parsley. Each square has been sown with different seeds, which are now coming through.

Square foot herb bed - with rose petals blown in


Rosemary cutting
The one exception to the seed rule was rosemary. I plonked 5 twigs into the ground in the hope that at least one would take root. It looks like they all have. Several are flowering.

Coriander
Why do they come two to a seed pod?

Fenugreek
Pretty enough to grow just for appearances

Summer Savory
 Ready for those beans.


The salad bed is taking off too.


so it's not all doom and gloom. 

p.s. After a day of respite the strong winds are back. I hope all is well with my defences at the plot.

6 comments:

  1. Its all looking good Mel. Shame about those winds. Still the same here too, along with some drizzle this evening. Looks like you will be having some great herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The herbs are looking great!

    We are making a herb garden soon too!

    Have a great day!

    Martin

    www.our-good-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost my bay this winter as well Mal, looks very battered and brown. Your herb and salad beds look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All looking good there, apart from the Bay of course. That's gardening for ya, you win some, you lose some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bay tree looks better than ours - no green at all!

    Had to say the first word verification was 'herbing'

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all looking good...I lost a few herbs in the frost so have replaced them this year. I was very upset to loose my rosemary. I lost my bay tree as well but it wasn't very big so I didn't loose too much really...the new one is going in a pot so it can be over-wintered in the greenhouse!!

    ReplyDelete